Monday, June 04, 2012

Cloud Computing for Start Ups

There are two major reasons I use cloud computing: convenience and lower IT investment. Coming from corporate IT, I had only ever run marketing programs with the highest reporting and lead follow up capabilities using Customer Relation Management (CRM) systems. But when I decided to set up my own marketing agency, we certainly didn't have one hundred thousand dollars to drop on such a system, so we turned to cloud computing.
To translate that into English, call it 'software rental'. Cloud computing is any subscription-based, pay-as-you-go, or per-use service provided over the Internet. It allows users to access files and software remotely instead of from a hard drive or office server. Many people currently use free cloud computing services whether they know it or not.  Examples include web-based email such as Gmail and video-sharing sites like YouTube. Overall, cloud computing is a terrific solution for a start-up business because it keeps costs to a minimum.  The software updates automatically, which can result in huge IT savings, but for my company, the real benefit is that cloud computing allows for more employee and client flexibility.
Our major clients are mostly based out of Sydney, and we are a Melbourne Marketing Agency. This has no negative influence on the outcomes of our marketing campaign. In fact, I would argue that it improves our quality of service. I know we get the best people, no matter where in the world they are.
Many members of our core team are based in different parts of the world. Our web developer is in Cairns for a sea change.  My editor lives in New York. Online time-tracking software records the hours she spends writing and updating our content and automatically provides an invoice. No more timesheets.
My bookkeeper is in New South Wales. We simply scan, photograph with my phone or email all statements. Because the software lives 'in the cloud' it can be reached securely from any web browser. I can login to check the GST report in a jiffy to lodge a BAS statement. We can login at anytime or export very telling reports in a minute's notice. How convenient is that?
Project Management makes or breaks a program.  When multiple people with different expertise need to have input on a campaign, email becomes a real hindrance. But again, traditional project management programs come at a huge cost. Instead of investing in conventional software, we use Basecamp.
I live in DropBox. With this program, my teams can access the most up to date files, spread sheets, corporate style guides and creative drafts as if they were in a folder on their own desktop.  In the past, if my MacBook went on a walkabout, important files would go with it. I would cry for a month and my projects would be stopped in their tracks, but not now (well maybe a little).
As your business grows, you will need to increase capacity or add capabilities fast, minus the investment in new expensive infrastructure or licensing software.  With subscription software, you only pay for what you need and can scale up when needed.
We use a range of programs but I know this is a passionate subject. What favourites of yours have I missed? Please let me know below.

Natalie Giddings | Queen Bee at Pollen Marketing




No comments: